Saturday, June 23, 2012

June 23, 2012 Second Guessing

When my alarm went off at 6 a.m. this morning, I lay there extremely groggy and wanting nothing more then to stay in bed.  I didn't get to bed until nearly 12 last night and my body just completely drained, I have no idea why,but none the least it took everything I had to get up out of bed and I mean everything.  I texted Chris to make sure he was still going, because if he wasn't then I really was just going to crawl back in bed and sleep for a few more hours. He texted back, so no sleep, time to move.

I got everything ready and then headed for the garage door opener to get my bike out.  Epic fail the garage wouldn't open, tried the other opener it wasn't opening.  Really, it's going to be one of those days?  I knew I should of brought my bike in the house last night like I usually do. Finally I grabbed the third remote which controls my side, and it never works, well this time it did.

Got my bike, packed it up and then headed out.  Chris was actually there on time, amazing.  Maybe this day was actually going to turn around and run smooth. We headed out on the Niles trail we weren't even a tenth of the mile in ( something with the whole tenth thing lately) and I had to put my brakes on, because there before me crossing the path was a beautiful deer.  Thank God I wasn't going any faster, or i didn't leave 30 seconds earlier because me and that deer probably would of collided.  Scared me to pieces, but they are truly beautiful creatures. 

We got to the next stop sign and Chris said he didn't know how far he could go his leg was still bothering him from when his kids threw him in the pool.  ( Great, sarcastically thinking) But we chucked on at a record speed of 7 mph and this was just not looking good, at this rate we were going we would be done with 40 miles in about 6 hours.  (arrrgh) but I kept silent and continued to ride, after all I was atleast getting some miles in.  However I started second guessing everything about our big trip coming up.  Chris has bearly trained, and without proper training the chances of making it through 330 miles with a loaded down bike, the chances are well, highly unlikely. In the event that he still attempts it, then what's going to happen?  The past few times riding we have been lucky to top 8mph because either his rear hurts, now a knee issue? With a loaded down bike he would be lucky to top 5mph which would take us 10 hours to do 50 miles.  I just kept thinking, wondering how is this going to work? I mean honestly riding two days in a row I am sore and I have more miles under my belt and I just don't know. I am really, super concerned at this point.  I just don't know.

Anyways, when we made it to the tunnel, which is about a 1/4 of a mile past Webb Rd, there was a runner heading towards us through the tunnel.  As the runner past us, Chris decided to let one rip and of course being in the tunnel it amplified. I was like really? I was wondering what that poor runner thought.  Hope he didn't think it was me. 

We only made it to I believe Silica or one more street past and had to turn around because he was hurting so bad.  On the way back I decided I was going to ride a bit faster and just wait for him at each stop sign, at one point i was better then a mile a head of him. Then that's when it hit, I should just turn around after I reach that point and head back towards him so that I could keep my mileage up there.  None the least I did that for a while to try and bring my average back up to 10 mph but then that got old. 

We finally made it back to the  Niles trail head and you could see the look of relief on his face.  I just headed back to my house and called it a day for now.  I wanted to get 40 miles in but only managed 20.95, maybe I will go back out later or just wait till tomorrows adventure.  I am going solo as Chris once again will not be training tomorrow.  So think I will go visit my mom who dang near lives in Champion.  I have got to figure out a way to make up some of these miles, or I myself will not be ready for this trip.  I really got alot of things to figure out and consider at this point in the game, with only 3 weeks left to train, I am scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment